Thursday, December 9, 2010

Let's begin!

My wonderful husband was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in fall 2010. Fortunately the disease has become much better known in the recent years, and we are able to find a wealth of information out there as we adapt to a gluten free diet. However, I've noticed that most gluten free cookbooks and blogs I've came across focused generally on American and European cuisine. In our household, meals are generally split 50/50 between "western" style meals and "Asian" type food. As a first generation Chinese American and the main cook in the family, I do tend to make things I know and love from childhood, and fortunately my Caucasian husband likes Asian food as well. As I experiment and adapt traditional recipes to gluten free versions, I want to share the experience in this blog so others may try their hand at making gluten free Asian food at home too.

A small disclaimer before I begin. I was born and raised in northern Taiwan until the age of seven. Since then I've lived in San Francisco, Seoul, northern Virginia, Pittsburgh, Charlottesville, and now Chicago. In this blog, you are not likely to find the usual fake dishes prevalent in American Chinese restaurants. On the other hand, my taste buds have adapted a little in my travels, and I do have to consider my husband's preferences as well. In addition, there are many food stuff in Asian cooking that are very difficult to obtain in United States. Therefore, you will find some non-traditional dishes of my own invention, as well as recipes that may not be 100% "authentic" but approximate the real thing with the ingredients I have available to me. I am not an expert cook by any means, and I welcome comments and suggestions!

3 comments:

  1. I just found your blog! So excited to follow your recipes. I agree that it is hard to find good Asian food in GF cookbooks. I can't wait to read more!

    Just out of curiosity, do you know anything about black bean soy sauce in Taiwan? I have heard that it is only soybeans and has no wheat in it. We will be moving to Taipei next year and I am trying to find a soy sauce there that will work for our child. I don't want to ship a bunch over. Thanks so much and I look forward to following your blog!
    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,

    Glad you like the blog! Which brand of black bean sauce do you currently use? I'm asking because so far the brands I've seen here in U.S. all have wheat in them. I haven't been back to Taiwan yet since my husband's Celiac diagnosis, so I don't know any particular gluten-free brands there. Taipei is a wonderful city though with lots of food options, and I hope you will like it there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Eve
    You are a gal after my own heart. I have often said that I would eat Asian food three times a day, everyday if I could. I love it all, Viet, Thai, Filipino, 'Chinese', and everything in between. Of course it's all Americanized, but I take what I can get. I haven't had the opportunity to try many Japanese dishes, but I want to.
    I am sorry for the fact that your husband has Celiac but so glad that he was able to get a diagnosis. I hope he feels better.
    I am looking forward to your cooking advice, as I have a lot to learn, and I'm very hungry for Chinese food!!!

    ReplyDelete